A part work is considered a work in its own right, with its own title
proper (RDA 6.2.2.9). For example, the first book of the Iliad is
considered a work in RDA with the title proper "Book 1." Since that's not
useful by itself, the title of the larger work is also included, and title
component for the authorized access point for Book 1 becomes $a Iliad. $n
Book1. Same for part works with part titles.

The MARC Bib Format has several illustrations of the use of $n and $p in a
245 title, e.g.:

245 10 $a Faust. $n Part one.
245 00 $a Dissertation abstracts. $n A, $p The humanities and social
sciences.

This also illustrates the problem with treating 245 as a carrier for both
transcribed and authorized access points.  Neither of these 245s are
acceptable AAPs--RDA 6.2.2.9.1 instructs us to use "Faust. 1. Theil" in the
first case, preferring the original language and a numeric rather than
verbal designation of sequence.  LC/PCC prefers to drop initial articles
from the start of part titles, but transcription retains the "The" in the
$p in the second case. The added $n $p subfield coding might appear to
promise a title usable as the work AAP, but really it doesn't.  But the
coding does indicate text which needs to be regarded as preferred or
variant title proper information for the part work being named in the 245.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota