RDA distinguishes between work title, preferred work title, and authorized
access point.  In the case of works and part works, there's no requirement
that the work title or preferred work title be unique or sufficient for
identification.  RDA 6.2.2.9.1--"If the part is identified only by a
general term with or without a numeric or alphabetic designation (e.g.,
Preface; Book 1; Band 3), record the designation of the part as the
preferred title for the part. Record the numeric designation as a numeral."
 Differentiation and identification are addressed with the construction of
an authorized access point.

For an English translation of the first part of Faust, these different ways
of looking at title might be:

Part work title:   Part One   (RDA 6.2.1, applying to both preferred and
variant titles--record the part work title as it appears in the source;
good for a 245 $n)
Preferred part work title:  $n 1. Theil  (RDA 6.2.2.4, preferring the part
title in the original language when in common use, and preferring "1." over
"Erste"; good for 240 $n)
Authorized access point for the part work:   Goethe, ... $t Faust. $n 1.
Theil   (RDA 6.27.2.2, based on the AAP for the whole work with the part's
preferred title added; for a part work preferred title that is only a
general designation)
Authorized access point for the part work's expression:   Goethe, ... $t
Faust. $n 1. Theil. $l English   (RDA 6.27.3, adding the language of
expression)

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist