RDA distinguishes between work title, preferred work title, and authorized access point.  In the case of works and part works, there's no requirement that the work title or preferred work title be unique or sufficient for identification.  RDA 6.2.2.9.1--"If the part is identified only by a general term with or without a numeric or alphabetic designation (e.g., Preface; Book 1; Band 3), record the designation of the part as the preferred title for the part. Record the numeric designation as a numeral."  Differentiation and identification are addressed with the construction of an authorized access point.

For an English translation of the first part of Faust, these different ways of looking at title might be:

Part work title:   Part One   (RDA 6.2.1, applying to both preferred and variant titles--record the part work title as it appears in the source; good for a 245 $n)
Preferred part work title:  $n 1. Theil  (RDA 6.2.2.4, preferring the part title in the original language when in common use, and preferring "1." over "Erste"; good for 240 $n)
Authorized access point for the part work:   Goethe, ... $t Faust. $n 1. Theil   (RDA 6.27.2.2, based on the AAP for the whole work with the part's preferred title added; for a part work preferred title that is only a general designation)
Authorized access point for the part work's expression:   Goethe, ... $t Faust. $n 1. Theil. $l English   (RDA 6.27.3, adding the language of expression)

Stephen

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Mark Baker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Sometimes the 240 is the title of a collection ("Collection works"
> "Selections") but more often it's a chosen title for a work whose title
> varies. In a large number of cases this links the title of a translation to
> an original title. I'm not nearly as good at finding examples as those who
> catalog will be, but here are a few examples, included the 245 so it makes
> more sense:
>
> 240    10     |a Zauberberg.  |l English
> 245    14     |a The magic mountain :  |b a novel /  |c Thomas Mann ;
> translated from the German by John E. Woods.
>
> 240    10     |a Hamlet.  |l Italian
> 245    10     |a Amleto,  |c principe di Danimarca.
>
> 240    10     |a Hamlet
> 245    14     |a The tragedie of Hamlet, Prince of Denmarke :  |b folio
> rawshakespeare edition /  |c William Shakespeare ... [et al.].
>
> 240    10     |a Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone
> 245    10     |a Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone /  |c by J.K. Rowling
> ; illustrations by Mary GrandPré.

Thanks, that's very interesting. I have no background (or future!) in
cataloguing, but what you see in marcpatterns.py is the current state
of a still very active iterative process by cataloguers. A quick look
through some of the public library data we've received shows (to my
untrained eyes) an approximate split between alternate/superior titles
and collection names so it would appear that some further tweaking may
be required. I'll pass that on to the team. Thanks again.

> It's hard to read code because each line of code is just ... a line of code,
> and you don't know from that line of code what the intention of the entire
> program is.

marcpatterns isn't "code" in the usual sense of the word. Think of it
as a document containing declarative rules in a domain specific
micro-language for mapping between MARC records and BIBFRAME
resources. It was purpose-designed to be usable by "moderately
tech-savvy librarians", and we use it that way internally; I don't
touch it, except to make changes to the micro-language itself.
Instead, our in-house SMEs do all of the work. Some of the cataloguers
who've gone through our training have also written rules in that
language.

Hopefully the documentation at the top of that file will help in
understanding the rules and the language. We feel that marcpatterns
offers an enormous amount of value.

> Perhaps something else is done with the 240 in some other lines
> of code, in some other module.

Except for linking (880, $6), marcpatterns contains all of
pybibframe's resource-oriented transformation rules, though you have
the option of adding your own via a configuration file. Another module
handles the static mapping of the 006/007/008 fixed length control
fields to BIBFRAME properties, but those aren't nearly as interesting
as marcpatterns :)

BTW, if it wasn't clear, I'm with Zepheira. I was unable to subscribe
to this list using my work email address.

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota