We reviewed several serial records converted to BIBFRAME and came across the same questions.  See issue #169, MARC 008 for continuing resources, on the lcnetdev/marc2bibframe site.

Joe Kiegel

From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Tim Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 2:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: [BIBFRAME] BIBFRAME and serials

All,

I'm currently working on a pilot project to describe a collection of unprocessed serials using BIBFRAME, and I'm wondering whether anyone who has tested or worked on the current vocabulary has focused on how it represents serials, specifically.

I'm finding that BF seems to preserve the stringy data from MARC (although sometimes with a loss of semantics--for example, just a general bf:note for MARC's 515 field[1]) while ignoring some of the structured data in the fixed fields[2][3].

For serials, the 008 field[4] lets you be pretty specific about things like Publication Status, Frequency, Regularity, Type of Continuing Resource, etc., with coded values for each. I'm not a serials cataloger, but this kind of data seems worth recording/preserving, doesn't it?

Tim

[1] http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd515.html
[2] Sample MARC record: http://bibframe.org/resources/ftB1429734330/marcxml.xml
[3] Converted to BF: http://bibframe.org/resources/ftB1429734330/bibframe.rdf
[4] http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd008.html

--
Tim A. Thompson
Metadata Librarian (Spanish/Portuguese Specialty)