I was glad to see Joe Kiegel initiate this discussion and am responding now not so much to put a point of view as to give the thread a bump. The existence of the RDA vocabularies has been the elephant in the room in discussions about BIBFRAME and this attempt to compare their characteristics is very welcome.

However, I'm not sure it's clear yet how we need to frame that comparison. Joe points out, for instance, that BIBFRAME provides for administrative metadata while RDA does not; but the current BIBFRAME provisions come directly from MARC and are arguably not going to be well suited to RDF data.

The most obvious contrast between BIBFRAME and RDA/RDF is that the latter is a dedicated vehicle for a content standard. Given the difficulties we've already experienced trying to shoehorn RDA into MARC, that would appear to be a difference worth heeding. But we're also told that vocabularies should be designed for easy reuse by other communities, and I've heard that advanced as an argument for adopting a simpler core vocabulary. (As I understand it, RDA/RDF's "unconstrained" properties were introduced partly in response to that same demand.)

I suspect a lot of people, if they're like me, are going to want help knowing how to think through questions such as these. Karen's remark about needing to "re-iterate back from our attempts to create a viable RDF version of library data to the cataloging rules, and create at least a subset of the rules that can support a viable data format" strikes me as a useful starting point for discussing the relationship of cataloguing rules to the vocabularies they're to be expressed in, and not only in connection with identifiers but also generally.

Naun.

--

Chew Chiat Naun

Cornell University Library