Good Morning All,

Just a few reminders and notes about using the FEDLIB listserv…

1.       I have changed the setting on the listserv to now send a copy of your posted message to you as well as the group.  In the past, the person posting the message was excluded from the distribution list and did not receive a copy when it posted.  This change should alleviate any concern about messages not going out to the group.

2.       Please remember to include your email address in the TEXT of your post.  When you post to the listserv, it strips the senders email address sometimes… so you MUST include your “reply to” email address in the body of the email otherwise people do not have an option to reply directly to you.

3.      Also, please remember to NOT hit “reply all” when sending response to a listserv post.  If you do, it returns your communication to the listserv for posting approval… and sometimes I won’t catch it before it gets approved.

4.      For those sending out “discard lists” – please consolidate your lists so that you are not sending out more than 1-2 emails at a time.  The amount of email traffic generated from this list can get overwhelming, please try to consolidate your discard lists. Also it is a good habit to include a deadline for responses.

5.      It is good practice to include the topic of your email in the subject line – this helps readers determine whether or not they want to look at your message or not.  Please be specific about what you are posting.

6.      The option to “DIGEST” your listserv messages into one message per day is still available.  There have been some problems with the automated command to request this change – so if you want to have your listserv message digested daily… please email me the request at [log in to unmask]   Also, please make sure to include the email address you are using on the listserv in your request.

7.      Please remember the purpose of this listserv is to share information pertinent to the federal library community.  We do not use this list for advertising (other than the occasional forwarded message from a FEDLINK vendor) – if you submit something for posting that is questionable, I will contact you for further clarification.

Finally, I recently solicited feedback from the FEDRef listserv users about consolidating the two lists.  The response was unanimously in favor of combining and doing away with the FEDRef as a separate listserv.  So, I have imported all FEDRef users into the FEDLIB distribution list and we will be removing the FEDRef list from active status soon.

Happy info sharing!

Holly Kerwin

FEDLIB Moderator