Hi Amy,
Thank you for your questions on the RDA records.  The SCT is currently evaluating what should be done with the RDA record examples.  Bob Maxwell and I, current SCT co-chairs, have updated the letter accompanying the SCT RDA Record Examples to clarify the situation. Our music and AV expert, Cate Gerhart, has volunteered to review the music and AV records, so those records will be updated in the next few weeks, with revision dates posted on each revised record.  Cate also offers the following guidance regarding some of the questions you raised:

1.       First, the only time the date the film was originally made can go in the second Dtst position is when there is no additional materials on the disc.  Once you get trailers, interviews with cast, documentaries on how the film was made, and other such specials, you need to put the date the film was made in the 046 $k, because the dates in the date fixed field apply to the entire manifestation.

The DtSt code will depend on what dates are in the date field based on the decision made above. It will sometimes by p or t.

Of course, this means that the original film date is in multiple places, so often catalogers are always putting it in the 046 even if it is also in the second date spot.  I think this is a good idea.

2.       There is ongoing discussion about how the 033 and 046 relate and I think that decision needs to be made by the MARC Advisory Committee and the MARC office rather than by this group since it really isn't clear in the MARC documentation.  If someone in PCC would like to help figure this out with me, that would be great.  It really is a sticky problem.

Cate Gerhart

Librarian

University of Washington Libraries

(206) 685-2827

George Prager
Head of Cataloging
New York University Law School Library
Voice: 212-998-6340

Robert L. Maxwell
Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568