From: Moore, Richard [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: April 13, 2015 3:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Best practices in updating authority records

Ian

My view: it's PCC best practice to use controlled vocabulary terms in both the fields in your example. It might be reasonable to leave the uncontrolled term "Law professor" in 374, in case the contributing institution requires it, and make an additional 374 entry following best practice, using a term from LCSH or another controlled subject vocabulary. However, I see no argument against upgrading the uncontrolled form of Durham Law School in 373 to the authorised form in LC/NAF.

I assume no2007019345 is the record concerned. The discrete metadata fields were added in 2012, when use of controlled vocabulary was not as well-established as it is now. The record was not re-coded as RDA when they were added - I don't think it would be unreasonable to give the record a best practice RDA makeover while upgrading it. If I recall, NLM's local requirement was for a 374 matching a 100 qualifier. There is no 100 qualifier in this access point, and it's not an NLM record (I don't know whether NLM routinely add uncontrolled 374 fields to NACO records they haven't created).

Regards
Richard

Richard Moore
Authority Control Team Manager