Hello Deborah

We’ve taken a similar approach on Aleph, to avoid typos and encourage consistency. We have macros that insert complete 377 fields containing the most commonly used language codes, and 375 fields for the most popular genders. For example, ##fre inserts:

377 $s fre

For 368 and 374 we have drop down menus, from which a cataloguer can select the LCSH terms that data mining indicates we used most often in the first two years after NACO RDA implementation. The 374 menu also inserts appropriate corresponding 372 fields. For example, a cataloguer keys ##374 to invoke the menu, and selects “Librarians”. Aleph inserts:

372   $a Library science $2 lcsh

374   $a Librarians $2 lcsh

Data mining suggested that “College teachers” was the 374 term we had used the most, so we created a separate menu for that, invoked by the macro ##tea (and rejoicing in the name of “tea menu”). This provides options for discipline. For example, selecting “Computer science” will cause Aleph to insert:

372   $a College teaching $a Computer science $2 lcsh

374   $a College teachers $2 lcsh

A similar menu for 370 lists the most commonly used associated countries from LC/NAF.

We have local copies of both LC/NAF and LCSH sitting on Aleph. If a cataloguer needs to insert a term that is not in one of the menus, they can jump from a field in their new authority record to browse either file, and insert the term directly into the record.

This was initially a way to speed up the extra work involved in creating a good RDA authority record.

Regards

Richard

Richard Moore

Authority Control Team Manager