The divisions between LC and PCC and within PCC on this question have so
far not been bridged successfully, in part because the terms in which it is
discussed have been problematic.  As Ian's question indicates, there is a
presumption that an authorized access point represents by default one work
or one expression; but in the case of translations, LC and long-standing
practice have preferred to let one established heading represent a variety
of distinct expressions.

One solution would be to introduce a different default.  If an expression
AAP consisting of a work AAP plus a language were understood to represent
by default a class of expressions and not a single expression, then
libraries that prefer to extend the class-of-expressions AAP with more
specific qualifiers, e.g., translator names, could do so without calling
into question the assignment of the unqualified AAP.  The class designation
would still be true.  The decision about whether to collocate entries with
a class-of-expressions AAP or with something more specific to a particular
expression or with some hybrid of these two practices could be made locally
and case by case and would not pose the kind of dilemmas which the current
state of affairs, where all of these AAPs are presumed to represent
particular expressions, inevitably does.

A class-focused AAP would also be a more persuasive model for conventional
uniform titles and selections, additional cases where the same AAP may
represent collections with markedly different contents.  Different
libraries would be able to make different decisions about how finely to
distinguish aggregate works and expressions falling into such classes; and
cases where greater specificity is desired would not invalidate a decision
to describe resources only in terms of class AAPs.

And because Ian mentioned the "undifferentiated"--we need to keep in mind
that the undifferentiation that exists among the members of a homogeneous
class is different from that for members of a heterogeneous class.  The
English translations of the Heart Sutra collectively will have a lot in
common, where the works of several different persons whose names all fall
under an undifferentiated name AAP most likely will not.  It makes sense
that we would embrace the former and avoid the latter when constructing
AAPs to provide users with meaningful collocations of resources.

Stephen

Stephen

Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota