The ISBD standard does not say that you must consider a part of the title appearing after a colon on the chief source to be other title information.  It says you are to supply a colon before other title information.  When a mark of punctuation is defined for a specific purpose within a standard, it shouldn’t be used for other purposes.

As I said earlier, RDA does not require following ISBD.  However, if you are not following ISBD, it is wrong to code your records as ISBD.

Christopher Thomas | Electronic Resources and Metadata Librarian

(949) 824-7681 | fax (949) 824-6700 | [log in to unmask]

Law Library · University of California · Irvine

www.law.uci.edu.library