On 2015-05-18 11:49 AM, Lou Judson wrote (in part):
> According to my understanding, FLAC is a non-lossy compression scene
> applied to WAV and PCM files, not a digital encoding format in
> itself. If that is so, then one must start with WAV (or other PCM
> format) files in order to get to FLAC. Therefore FLAC is an
> accessory, not a proper format.
>
> If this is so, then it can only be seen as a storage format, not a
> recording format, and the argument is academic.

And that is precisely how the National Library of Australia's software
seems to be using it. However, it is a recording format in one instance
which I own:

 From the Sound Devices 722 firmware version 2-67 manual:

> Thank you for purchasing the 722. The super-compact 722 records and
> plays back audio to and from its internal hard drive or CompactFlash
> medium, making field recording simple and fast. It writes and reads
> uncompressed PCM audio at 16 or 24 bits with sample rates between 32
> kHz and 192 kHz. It also writes and reads data compressed FLAC and
> audio compressed MP2 and MP3 files.

 From the current Samplitude ProX2 manual:

> The following formats are supported and read directly by Samplitude:
>  Wave files (.wav), MP3/MPEG files (.mp3, .mpg, .mus), QuickTime
> files (.aif), MS Audio files (.asf, .wma), Ogg Vorbis (.ogg), FLAC
> (.flac), MIDI files (.mid), video files (.avi), and playlists (.m3u,
> .cue).

Samplitude and the RME Fireface UFX both directly record in WAV files.
The Fireface UFX uses a poly WAV file (as do the SD products) to avoid
having many open files.

Samplitude exports to FLAC directly through commands.

So, at least in my world, FLAC support is fairly broad, but, Lou, as you
state, it is not used directly for recording (in my world) except for
the SD722 (and I do not use that feature).

When Exact Audio Copy rips a CD to FLAC it first rips to WAV and then
runs the external FLAC compressor, but although that is the way it is
often used, the presence of the SD capability indicates to me that it is
a stand-alone format, not an accessory.

Cheers,

Richard