Hi, Carla,

I completely understand as having co-authored a much shorter document
with the same target audience for the Canadian Conservation Institute
(basically how to digitize tapes when you can't afford to send it out).

However, the challenge that creates is that some client may see that and
write in a spec "do not bake plastic reels."

In thinking about my original post, I don't think I have ever had a
plastic reel warp in a food dehydrator. Very early on, as I was learning
this technique, I used our kitchen oven which I soon learned was a poor
choice (although no tapes were harmed in the process). That was before
the days of having a temperature logger and knowing what I know now. I
think it was that process that warped a plastic reel, partially because
of the radiant heat from the element, I suspect. I didn't even have a
Dremel tool back than <smile>, but managed to remove the warped
flange--or at least re-warp it so I could remove the tape by winding on
a machine.

Looking back on my very early days trying to restore my own tapes--over
two decades ago, I was lucky!

Cheers,

Richard