Hi Rainer:

Definitely see the two Frank Lloyd Wright houses near Pittsburgh. And the Warhol Museum, if modern
art is your thing. Because there was so much industrial wealth concentrated in Pittsburgh, I suspect
you could spend several days and still not see all of the interesting historical and cultural
attractions.

If you're interested in US Civil War history, Gettysburg is definitely worth seeing, although a bit
of a drive. Take a day and walk the battlefields. There's a place down the road from where the old
sightseeing tower was that rents horses and offers semi-guided rides of some of the battlefield (at
least there was such a business 20 years ago when I visited there).

If you don't mind a few hours driving, go to Philadelphia and enjoy cheese steaks, the museums and
(carefully) walk around the parts of downtown where you don't need body armor. Philly is not the
safest city in the US, but you should be OK in daylight.

Also, check out the abandoned town of Centralia. There are signs warning you to stay out, but you
can go poke around. Watch out for the smoldering cracks in the ground!
http://www.centraliapa.com/

If you like American baseball, the park in Pittsburgh is particularly nice. Also the minor league
park in Scranton. And, the AAA NY-Penn League park at Williamsport is one of the oldest surviving
baseball stadiums in the US. In that area, it's also to see all the signs of the booming (now
slightly busted) shale-gas business.

If you got to Gettysburg and it gets you curious for more Civil War sightseeing, head to Maryland
and check out Antietam, and there are more important Civil War sites as you get closer to Washington
DC.

-- Tom Fine