Please forgive this uneducated question.  Much of the discussion on this
topic has focused on the "phase" of different transfers.  I'm not a
signal processing guy, but to me "phase" involves the frequency of the
signal, so changing the phase is a temporal shift in the signal (a
lateral shift along the time axis) by a fraction of some wavelength.  At
times in this discussion, it seems that the intention of changing the
phase is a reversal of the amplitude of the digital signal (mirroring it
across the time axis), for which frequency is irrelevant.

If I have a stereo signal from a hill 'n' dale source, it seems the
preferred next step is to invert the phase of one channel and then
combine (add) the two channels prior to any digital noise reduction.
What is the meaning of "phase" in this context?

--
*Pete Tinker*
West Hills, CA 91307