In his manual for ClickRepair, Brian Davies recommends (Page 38)
processing the two channels separately during impulse noise removal.
ClickRepair processes them separately, then dynamically mixes them down
to mono (doing on-the-fly normalization) before writing the result out
to stereo with both channels identical.  This advice may be peculiar to
his algorithms and software implementation.

--
*Pete Tinker*
West Hills, CA 91307