On 2015-05-10 6:27 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
> Just to be clear, I never advise clients to go for a compressed format
> as their archive format.

I happen to agree with Tom, but the National Archive of Australia
appears to have created a tool which translates all audio into FLAC
files for their archives...that was the basis for my original question.

XENA (no relation as far as I can tell to the like-named Warrior
Princess) appears to ONLY output audio (including WAV files) to FLAC files.

I thought it odd which is why I brought it up?

Does anyone know of any other initiatives moving that way? I don't think
the EBU will buy into that after all their effort on Broadcast
Wave...which many of us have followed.

Yes, I'm aware of the arguments for and against. I chose to rip CDs to
FLAC for personal use and have since also made a set of 128 kb/s MP3
files of that archive so I can fit the vast majority of my ripped
archive onto a 64 GB card in my phone. I have about 12,000 "songs" which
include symphony movements.

Cheers,

Richard