FYI. Warner is issuing a new box of Ozawa reissues including his Chicago recordings.
--------------Eric Nagamine

-------- Original message --------
From: Carl Pultz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 05/07/2015  1:55 AM  (GMT-10:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Carson Taylor was A-440

Brandon, that's a long association now, as is mine. I've recorded the
concerts since #2. Next time you're there, say hello.

Tom, very welcome. Glad I could find something 'new,' as I usually assume
you and the others here know all this stuff already. I'm going to slowly
work through RE/P to see what else they published along those lines. A few
issues on, there was a story about "Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back," the Sinatra
album/TV show of 1973. Very interesting to hear the sound from the Goldwin
soundstage - absolutely beautiful. There are long interesting pieces on
Muscle Sholes and Criterion, too, in early issues. And lots that is just
pure techno-nostalgia.

I have only a few Taylor/Capitol albums, but one that's been with me for a
long time is the Osawa/CSO Janacek/Lutoslawski disk. The Concerto for
Orchestra is one of those stupendously virtuosic recordings the CSO
specialized in. I also have an HMV pressing of the Concerto, and the
difference is interesting. EMI shoe-horned it on a side with the first
movement of Bartok's CfO, making a long side. Still, dynamics hold up pretty
well. The obvious difference is of perspective. The EMI version seems much
more distant than does the Angel release, which is close and bombastic. That
distance somewhat helps you to perceive the whole of the ensemble, versus
the Angel, which puts you more in the midst of it - probably more true to
the event. I think the difference is more than would come from the EMI tape
being a generation removed; it's more like a different mix. Baring that
possibility, it may just be down to the difference in sound of the mastering
chains between Hollywood and Vine and that obscure little closet in
Westminster. Maybe they added a little reverb?

The recorded mix itself is a bit odd. The strings have great depth, maybe
exaggerated, the first desks quiet close, while the rest of the sections
recede away. That is more audible on the HMV, suggesting to me that Capitol
used some leveling compression. Then the winds are unevenly spotlighted in a
weird contrast to the strings. This makes some sense to me, as the stereo
mics are not going to sound like the spots. I have enough experience to not
harshly second-guess the work of a recordist, given whatever unknown
challenges he faced, but I regard this sort of contrast as a strong
possibility when mixing those two disparate techniques. It does spur me to
dig deeper into his work. Only wish I had the CD EMI issued of these
sessions. And of course it would be great to hear something from the 1st
generation mix. The Angel pressing suffers from the usual problems,
including being off-center. To me, the HMV is more listenable. Both, I
think, embody the taste and intentions of the mastering craftsmen involved,
however disparate, more so than a pre-visualized outcome established purely
by the session work.

After revisiting Osawa's performance, which used to completely bowl me over,
I put on a CD of Rowicki's (a very under-rated conductor) from 1964. His
Polish orchestra didn't have the power of the Chicago machine, but it is a
much more nuanced performance and a better recording. Who knows, the CSO
might have had minimal rehearsal. They could blast through a score almost at
sight, but they might have felt, themselves, that there was much more to
realize than they were able to get at. Osawa's rushing the toccata didn't
help; his reading is almost 4 minutes faster overall than Rowicki's.