Yes, you can attach a CD/DVD player to the Mac. Apple even makes one because none of their portables come with the burners now. If you have a Blu-Ray, you need special software to run it, and it’s a bit of a challenge to do so.

Oddly, I’m seeing more and more niche films coming out exclusively on Blu-Ray.

DrG