> On May 18, 2015, at 2:02 PM, Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Ditto on the thanks to Dave Rice.

aw, you guys (‘-’*)

> I have learned quite a bit about this topic today. I still won't use FLAC as my primary PCM-write format, but I use it all over my house and studio as a backup and stream-access format.
>
> It's also worth noting, along the lines of what Paul Stamlber said, that because FLAC files reduce the storage need per second of audio, it's a great format for transmission and also for the new generation of portable players such as by Sony, Pono and A&K.
>
> Given that no other major company except Apple seems to have patent-lawyer issues with FLAC's open-source-ness, I will opine that this is a phantom menace created by Apple to justify sticking with their proprietary lossless format.

Apple voluntarily moved its FLAC-competitor, the ALAC encoder and decoder, to an open source license: http://alac.macosforge.org/. As others have mentioned Apple's use of ALAC was often focused on transmission and saving data behind the scenes using AirPlay and other services.
Dave