Colleagues --

I'm happy to share a recently completed study on the quantity of audio
holdings in collections across the US. This report, *Quantifying the Need:
A Survey of Existing Sound Recordings in Collections in the United States*,
is available as a PDF at the following URL:

http://www.avpreserve.com/papers-and-presentations/quantifying-the-need-a-survey-of-existing-sound-recordings-in-collections-in-the-united-states/

Abstract:

In 2014, AVPreserve and the Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC),
with funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, undertook an in-depth,
multi-faceted assessment to quantify the existing audio items held in
institutional collections throughout the United States. This was performed
and its call for the appraisal of collections, as well as to establish a
foundation for articulating the current preservation need of sound
recordings in collections nationwide. Our goal was to acquire enough
trustworthy data to be able to answer questions such as “How many sound
recordings exist in broadcast organizations across the US?” or “How many
sound recordings exist in archives throughout the US?” Moreover, we wanted
to answer more complex questions such as “How many of such items are
preservation-worthy?” or “How many have already been digitized?”
Prioritization for digitization is as critical as both funding and
timeliness. The foundation for action on all three of these fronts is
trustworthy quantitative data. This paper aims to provide such data along
with supporting information about the methodologies used in its generation.

We feel that the results are of great value and will be useful for funding
organizations and for administrators as they plan programs for digitization
over the next 5-10 years.

We welcome feedback on the study and hope it encourages further
conversation on the topic of audio and audiovisual preservation.

Best regards --

Bert

Bertram Lyons, CA
AVPreserve | www.avpreserve.com
American Folklife Center | www.loc.gov/folklife
International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives |
www.iasa-web.org