This month we're featuring a collection of previously unreleased performances by legendary Indianapolis jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery titled In the Beginning. We're also featuring new releases from two guitarists who were inspired by Wes-Tony MacAlpine's Concrete Gardens and Nathan East's self-titled solo debut-as well as bassist Marcus Miller's world music-jazz fusion album Afrodeezia.
Other new releases include the first CD reissue of Cannonball Adderley's musical soundtrack Big Man: Legend of John Henry, Cleveland Orchestra violist Eliesha Nelson's Permutations, and Hidden In Plain Sight: Vox Maximus Vol. 1 from a capella vocal group Naturally 7. Recent R&B releases include One Special Night at the Kimmel Center by trombonist Jeff Bradshaw & Friends, Bobby Patterson's I Got More Soul!, and the compilation East L.A. Soul: Rampart Records 1963-71.
World music releases include Akory by Madagascan singer/environmental activist Razia and the self-titled album by the multinational group Ajoyo. New gospel releases include Let's Go by the McCrary Sisters, Still Rockin' My Soul by The Fairfield Four, and the gospel rap album Tomorrow We Live by KB.
Other releases include the sophomore album Here Come the Girls by the New York pop/rock duo London Souls, Mississippi blues artist Leo "Bud" Welch's I Don't Prefer No Blues, and the NOLA/jazz combination of Kermit Ruffins & the Barbecue Swingers on #imsoneworleans.
Wrapping up this issue is our list of April 2015 black music releases of note.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
2805 E. 10th Street, Suite 180
Bloomington, IN 47408
www.blackgrooves.org