​Speaking of Rites... I seem to recall a Craft-conducted interview with
Stravinsky published in High Fidelity (IIRC) in which excerpts from three
recordings were played to the master, and Igor pulled no punches on the von
Karajan. (That wasn't his style anyway.)

There's a commercially-unreleased CD of the Boston Philharmonic under Ben
Zander that is truly frightening in its ferocity (savagery). Most
amazingly, the band handles the very quick tempi without a collapse.

clark