Great post. I know Goran vehemently disagrees but that’s what makes a horse race.
Richard Hess speaks of having trouble making a coherent 12kHz test playback adjustment because the meters bounce a lot… pretty unstable.

I crosspost this, and it speaks to phase jitter because of the motions Doug describes and which the Pierce and Hunt paper really kick forward.

“Imagine the stylus is at 5.73" radius. (Weird number but makes the rest of the math easy).
That's 18 linear inches per rev.
At 33.3 that's 10"/sec.
So the period of 10kHz is a mil ... And therefore 0.0005" (five tenths of a thou) of offset between the contact point in the groove walls will cancel in the L+R, and create a false vertical displacement.
Somebody want to calculate how many degrees out of plumb/perpendicular to tangent that is?
A laser on the front of the cartridge head tells a sensor about that degree of dynamic error and generates a voltage  a piezo-twisty cartridge mount  corrects for it.
Go!!!"