> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/14/15 9:21 AM, Owen Stephens wrote:
>
>         I don’t see a problem with allowing string properties when
>         there is no question of there being a resource - but that’s a
>         decision BIBFRAME should make, not the implementors. The
>         problem I have is with letting the implementor/data dictate
>         whether you have a string or a resource (or a date etc.) in
>         any particular instance.
>

>     Turning titles (MARC 245) and other areas of bibliographic
>     description into resources is not a slam-dunk, IMO. If we go with
>     Rob's "all objects are resources"  are we saying that a title is
>     semantically as much of a resource as a creator? Will our data
>     reflect the difference between a string as resource and a rwo as
>     resource? Does that matter?
>

> If there are two properties of the same "thing" (like title and
> subtitle) then clearly there is a thing that has those properties, not
> just a single string.  Perhaps I'm being naive but it doesn't seem
> very complex :)

Well, we were talking about strings vs. things -- if you code the title
as having multiple properties then it has to be a node to keep that
structure. Ray showed a simple example:

<http://bibframe.example.com/workX>   bf:title   “Lord of the Flies” .

but I assume that it could have been a more complex title

<http://bibframe.example.com/workX>   bf:title   “Moby Dick, or The Whale” .
<http://bibframe.example.com/workX>   bf:title   “Concerto-symphony :
for symphony orchestra in E-flat major ; Sonata no. 2 for piano in A
major ” .

The MARC subfields are a particular coding of titles, but hardly
universal. Obviously,  if you want to retain the parts that MARC
defines, then you have multiple properties that need a node. But not
everyone does, not even everyone using MARC:

LIBRIS (Nat'l Lib Sweden)
245 	1 0 	a Coyle's information highway handbook : a practical file on
the new information order

LC
245 	10 	 |*a* Coyle's information highway handbook :  |*b* a practical
file on the new information order /

Coding these, (in my awkward way) I come up with:

<http://bibframe.example.com/workX>   bf:title   “Coyle's information
highway handbook : a practical file on the new information order” .

or

<http://bibframe.example.com/workX>   bf:titleResource  [
      bf:title  “Coyle's information highway handbook : a practical file
on the new information order” ] .

or

<http://bibframe.example.com/workX>   bf:titleResource  [
      bf:title  “Coyle's information highway handbook ;
      bf:subtitle "a practical file on the new information order” ] .

There are undoubtedly other ways to do this, but in these examples,
bf:title is always a string. An earlier example used "rdfs:label" in a
#2 example, but that is antithetical to the need to code title and
subtitle, and could only be used with plain string titles, so it's just
a different serialization of #1.

I assume there are also other ways to code this.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net