My thanks to Rob Sanderson, his explanation is very helpful. I can see the need for having title as a resource when there are parsing and categorizing options in play, and the logic of framing the encoding to support that; and understand now that each of the titles in the "Hamlet" example would be a separate resource, not the same resource. The resource is used to enable added structure in specific graphs, not to describe a generalized entity.

Stephen