If they insist on Adobe products, you might look at Adobe Framemaker. It's not part of CC though, but they have a monthly subscription for it. If I was still doing finding aids, I'd be using it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michele R Combs
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: EAD authoring in Dreamweaver CC

Dreamweaver is for authoring web pages, i.e. HTML.  I'm pretty sure that the only functionality it will give you for anything else is code color/highlighting and autocomplete for tags.   Any chance you can convince your institution that it's simply not the right tool for the job?  Like pounding a nail with a screwdriver?

If their objection is cost, you might look at Notepad++ and its XML plugins (http://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-plugins/files/XML%20Tools/).  That way at least you'll be able to validate against the schema.  I don't think Dreamweaver will even do that.  When I google it I get this discouraging reply:

"No results found for +dreamweaver validate xml schema"

Michele