Mac, there is no such thing as "order" in RDF. If there are two
statements that use the same property (e.g. bf:note) there is no order
implied between them and there's no "record" in RDF that would maintain
an order between two or more properties. There is a function called
"rdf:List" but that is not a highly used function, and I highly doubt
that anyone is anticipating using rdf:List for notes. In general, what
was done with order in the card/record world is done in RDF with the
meaning of the data element.

It seems to me that the problem is that there are many different
"messages" that are currently being coded as bf:note. If there is any
time when a specific note must be identified for some purpose, say as a
particular display, then that note type has to be differentiated. This
should be solved by having different types of notes, not by imposing an
order on undifferentiated notes.

My guess is that a clear statement of use cases for different types of
notes would take this discussion further. What are the uses for
different notes? Under what circumstances will notes be acted on
(searched, displayed)? (Note that the answer to this may not entirely
coincide with the note elements currently defined in MARC or ISBD. We
should ask the question without prejudice and see what answers arise.)

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net