On 6/23/15 5:24 PM, Young,Jeff (OR) wrote:
> The problem might be clearer by asking what the subject and object of
> bf:hasHoldingOrganization statement are in this example.
>
> The subject is apparently a blank node bf:Organization and the object
> is something with "organizations/dlc" as an identifier. That's odd.
> Presumably the item (which IS identified) should be the subject
> instead of the blank node.
>
> I agree that the concept of "Authority" shouldn't be dragged into this
> particular example. Statements involving the bf:hasHoldingOrganization
> property should be understandable without it.
>
> Jeff
>
> On Jun 23, 2015, at 4:25 PM, Denenberg, Ray <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>
>> The example is:
>>
>>            bf:heldBy    [
>>
>> a bf:Organization ;
>>
>> rdfs:label                                “DLC”   ;
>>
>> bf:hasHoldingOrganization
>> <http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/organizations/dlc> .  ]  ;

trying this out as triples, because that's where the proof of the
pudding always is:

X bf:heldBy _:b1 .     //the subject X is held some by thing identified
by _:b1 .
_:b1 a bf:Organization .     //_:b1 is of type "Organization" .
_:b1 rdfs:label "DLC" .     //the display label for _:b1 is "DLC"
_:b1 bf:hasHoldingOrganization
<http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/organizations/dlc> .     //_:b1, which is
of type Organization, hasHoldingOrganization
<http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/organizations/dlc>.

Putting this again in words:

Some thing (X) is held by some other thing (_:b1). The thing _:b1 is an
organization as defined by BIBFRAME. The display label for the
organization is "DLC". The organization "_:b1" has a holding
organization with an LOC IRI.

This is what Jeff said, I just find it easier to see it when
triple-ized. If the domain of bf:hasHoldingOrganization is bf:Item, then
this has declared the bf:Organization "_:b1" to also be an item. In any
case, it makes no sense that the organization has a holding
organization. It looks like the correct set of triples would be more like:

X bf:heldBy _:b1 .
_:b1 a bf:Organization .
_:b1 rdfs:label "DLC" .
X bf:hasHoldingOrganization
<http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/organizations/dlc> .

Leaving us, of course, still with the question of organizations vs.
authorities for organizations.

kc

--
Karen Coyle