On 6/24/15 12:20 PM, Godby,Jean wrote:

> Hi Karen,
>

> Good points. We are also troubled by the inheritance implications of
> a WEMI model realized in RDF. In the OCLC linked data model of works,
> every description is modeled as a schema:CreativeWork and is capable
> of standing alone.

Jean, in a way you can also do this with BIBFRAME since none of the
classes or properties are defined as disjoint each other. Tom Baker,
Sean Petiya and I show this in an article we did on bibliographic models
[1].  Most of us carry forward assumptions from pre-RDF data models,
like object-oriented programming, and assume that the classes are
restrictive - that is, that the definition of bf:workTitle with a domain
of bf:Work means that bf:workTitle can only be used as a predicate for a
pre-declared bf:Work. In fact, classes in RDF/OWL have a very different
meaning [2], and it is the predicate that defines the subject as a work.
(The blog post [2] explains that, I hope.)

With the BIBFRAME vocabulary, you can create a graph with a single
identifier for the resource being described and use any properties from
the vocabulary. The possibly negative consequence occurs when/if you
apply inferencing to the triples -- the identified resource will be an
instance of all of the classes of the properties that describe it. To
translate: a single thing will be both a work and an instance because it
will have properties with a domain of work and properties with a domain
of instance. However, it is possible to also identify just the work
properties or just the instance properties. These two views can
co-exist. To me, the real impetus for embracing this in actual
applications using BIBFRAME is for the simplicity of working with the
data -- there will be times when a display is made up of properties
taken from different BIBFRAME graphs, like a short display with author
(Work), preferred title (Instance), and location (Item). Obviously at
that point it's easier to have this graph:

short1 hasAuthor <author> .
short1 hasTitle <title> .
short1 hasLocation <location>.

rather than:

shortWork     hasAuthor <author> .
shortInstance hasWork shortWork .
shortInstance hasTitle <title> .
shortItem     hasInstance shortInstance .
shortItem     hasLocation <location> .

In fact, I believe that a SPARQL query can return the former but I
haven't played with that.

We really should see the entities of BIBFRAME (as expressed by classes)
as conveniences to be used when they make sense, but not as structures,
since RDF data can be -- is designed to be -- viewed differently by
different operations as needed. That's the flexibility of graphs.

At the moment, most of this discussion is focused on creating BIBFRAME
data stores out of MARC data, and usually aggregating data from
different sources. I think that skews our view. Data from a BIBFRAME
data store can be displayed on the same page as data from, say, data in
Dublin Core, where they both look more like my first example than my
second. We haven't yet explored the possibilities that this flexibility
gives us, although it sounds like OCLC is thinking in that direction.
Keep it up, please!

kc
[1] http://kcoyle.net/LHTv32n4preprint.pdf
[2] which I try to explain here: