On 6/25/15 8:28 AM, Trail, Nate wrote:

> I’m troubled by this idea that because rdf allows you to do something,
> you have to do it that way.
>
> Shouldn’t each rdf resource be described by the properties in that
> class, so you can re-use it?  In other words, it doesn’t make sense to
> put Instance data on a Work, since then you’re not able to re-use that
> Work for other Instances.

Two, no, three things: 1) The property has that domain regardless of
where you use it, so if you want all of the work properties so that you
can share them, you do so by extracting them (such as with a SPARQL
query) and use them. 2) It isn't that you HAVE to do it that way, but
you CAN do it that way, and someone WILL do it that way because a)
there's no perfect data and b) people have different needs. 3) this is
why using the domains of the properties is more accurate than relying on
what subject people have used in triples that have an explicit rdf:type.
Admittedly #3 requires inferencing, and most developers dislike it, but
it's baked into the design of RDF.

> It is not the case that a bf:Work can have an extent of 300pp (on the
> hardback) and 1webpage (on the electronic resource) of that Work. You
> might express that, but you’d be wrong. Those properties describe the
> manifestations, not the work.

What is this bf:Work? What defines it? All you have is an opaque
identifier as a subject and predicates that describe the subject. The
subject only is an instance of a class when a) it is explicitly typed as
rdf:type bf:Work and/or b) you infer the class of the subject from the
domains of the predicates. You don't "have" a bf:Work, you have a graph
with predicates that describe a bf:Work.

(I think I make this clear in my blog post, but basically "things with
creators are instances of bf:Work" not "bf:Works have creators". Also,
there is a detailed description in the article I cited -- which, BTW,
just won some prize that means that it will be available for open access
for a year -- that's our prize money, essentially.)

> “for the simplicity of working with the data”
>
> If we go down this path, aren’t we describing a MARC record? “Tell me
> everything I need to know about this thing in one place”.  You don’t
> need to follow the link to the other resources, because I’ve ”cached”
> everything locally right here.

Depending on how your vocabulary is defined and what inferences your
applications make, with the same data you can have (at the same time)
something with all of the properties of a MARC record as a single graph,
separate graphs for bf:Work and bf:Instance, separate graphs
representing frbrer:Work, frbrer:Expression, and frbrer:Manifestation.
There isn't just one way to work with the same data -- it's not like
having OO classes and records. The point of RDF is that the triples can
form any number of different graphs, not unlike how a RDBMS allows you
extract different views of the data (but with fewer restrictions).

kc