If I'm understanding correctly, a single item could have two relationships:

Item heldBy <real organization>
Item hasHoldingOrganization <authority for the same real organization>

But both have URIs, and when you dereference the URI you get back a
description of the organization.
So hasHoldingOrganization is unnecessary (as is the entire Authority
system, IMO)

It's different to the string vs resource consistency question, as both the
organization and the authority record are resources.  The equivalent would
be:

  Item heldBy Organization
  Organization label "Official Name of Organization"

Hope that helps!

Rob

--
Rob Sanderson