From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Boehr, Diane (NIH/NLM) [E]
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 4:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] BIBFRAME Title Proposal

Ray,

You say in this proposal:

“Abbreviated” title. For an abbreviated title, class bf:abbreviatedTitle is indicated, and bf:variantCharacteristic is not needed.

However, I don’t think this statement is true.  There are different types of abbreviated titles.  The ISSN Centre assigns Abbreviated Key Titles, NLM assigns abbreviated titles for its indexed journals. They are always different in form and sometimes in content, but both can exist in current records.  So either you need different classes or a variant characteristic to distinguish these two different things. Other organizations may also assign abbreviated titles.

Diane

Diane Boehr
Head of Cataloging and Metadata Management
National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 20894
301-435-7059