Pete and Chris:

9.2.2.8 does say: “If an individual *has* more than one identity, choose the name associated with each identity as the preferred name for that identity.” I highlighted the word *has* because that distinguishes this section from the previous one, which is about an individual who changes his name. 9.2.2.7 says if an individual changes his name, use the latest name as the established form. Jenner seems to fall under 9.2.2.7. He would be considered for more than one identity if he published things under both names concurrently. The present tense of *has* seems to be important to 9.2.2.8.

Now of course it’s true that changing your gender is a lot bigger deal than changing your name. But I doubt that we as librarians can take account of that distinction.

Ted Gemberling

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wilson, Pete
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 4:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Inevitable Caitlyn Jenner NAR question

Chris,

Well, you can propose a new way of looking at this, but there have been many cases of sex changes already and many examples of name authority records for the people involved.  So far, we are treating both the before person and the after person as the same person, which seems appropriate to me.

It is already established that a (significant) change of name means a new authority for a corporate body, but not usually for a person.  Names vary all the time.  Rosanne has been credited as Rosanne Arnold here and Rosanne Barr there.  We trace her as just “Rosanne, 1952- “ anyway.  Farrah Fawcett has frequently been credited or referred to as Farrah Fawcett-Majors, but we don’t call that a separate identity.  Why is this a special case?   Jenner would argue that she is the same person she always was.  If a special approach is not needed in principle for this case, is it needed just to avoid mass confusion?  I seriously doubt it.  The general public knows Jenner and her story and can work it out.  In the case of a less-known person for whom there might be more confusion, we wouldn’t even be talking about this—and that kind of confusion occurs in regard to lesser-known people for all sorts of reasons.

Pete Wilson

Vanderbilt University