Maybe we should define “gender” for purposes of the 375 as the answer to the question:  Of which gender are the pronouns commonly used for this person in works about the person?  And we could give dates for the period of time in which that gender of pronouns was or is used.  Under this definition,  I think we can safely provide a beginning/ending date of 2015 for Jenner.  I believe the media used masculine pronouns pretty consistently through 2014.

This would make no attempt to guess a person’s internal gender identification at any moment in time, and would merely recognize the state of discourse about this person in media.  Information of this sort would be no more prone to inaccuracy than any in 372, 373 or 374 fields.  More information about the nuances could be recorded in 670 if the creator of the authority record, or the subject of it, desired.

We talk about “bibliographic identities.”  Perhaps it’s fair enough to extend that concept to cover the fact that while James Morris may have considered himself a woman before he changed his name, his bibliographic identity was masculine.  I feel certain that author information in his books used masculine pronouns, and that reviewers did as well.

Does this help us create a picture of a particular transgender person in an authority record?  Not really, I would think.  Basically it is an attempt to save the 375 field, which for most persons will be relatively unambiguous for all practical purposes, and thus helpful information, by grounding it in a somewhat safe and relatively unambiguous conception.  To say that Jenner was commonly perceived as male through 2014, even though her wishes to change that were known by increasingly large numbers of people during that time, seems fair and accurate to me.

How could we change the name “gender?”  “Perceived gender?”  It sounds a bit awkward but it is straightforward enough, I think.  And, you know, that might be valuable for personae like Dame Edna.  Her perceived gender is certainly female, even if there is a man behind it (I’m assuming for purposes of argument that Barry Humphries identifies as male).  There would be no reason to waffle in the 375.

Is the 375 field helpful and worth saving?  I think so, and many people have given reasons why.  Most of them have to do with a potential future in which attributes are used in research, I think.

Pete Wilson

Vanderbilt University