Personally I don’t care if we do or don’t record a 375 for Dame Edna’s gender.  If we want to, though, it would help to be clear on precisely what we are to record:  the physical sex of the person playing Dame Edna, or the sex incorporated into the persona.  Defining the 375 as being for “perceived sex” would clarify the decision.

This is definitely not what I came up with my suggestion about “perceived sex” as the definition of the 375 for, though.  It just kind of popped up.

Pete Wilson
Vanderbilt University

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kevin M Randall
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 5:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] More Caitlyn Jenner and 375s

Having an authority record for Dame Edna may be what's handy.  But I don't see any real purpose that the 375 field would serve in that authority record.  So what if Dame Edna identifies as this gender or that, or is perceived as such, or is legally determined to be such by some entity that deems itself empowered  to do so?  Why is it really necessary in the authority record?

Kevin