I guess bibliographic warrant would be the deciding factor here.  For example, if Humphries wrote a book under the name of Dame Edna, then perhaps Dame Edna's name should be given as creator.  If a book were written about Dame Edna (not Humphries himself), then Dame Edna's name should be in the subject heading.

Kevin

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ted P Gemberling
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2015 10:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Inevitable Caitlyn Jenner NAR question

Second thoughts about a Dame Edna authority. While Barry Humphries usually plays Dame Edna, he always seems to be listed on IMDb as Barry Humphries. See this page: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0039211/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

Check that over in detail if you’re thinking of creating another authority. He also has another role as Sir Les Patterson.  Both of those names are given as 400’s on Barry Humphries’ authority. They seem to be roles he plays, not personal identities.

It seems like this brings up a practical difficulty with creating a lot of authorities for different identities. If we had to create a new one every time we found out that a person played a different role, it would become impractical.

In contrast, Divine always seems to be credited as Divine, not Harris Glenn Milstead, his real name. Divine is his identity, not just a role.

Just my two cents.

Ted