Laura,
   You're correct to wonder about this. Recording gender in 375 has been controversial from the beginning of RDA implementation, particularly so for transgender individuals. See the recent article authored by Amber Billey, Emily Drabinski, and KR Roberto, which addresses this issue far more eloquently than I could.

John DeSantis

Sent from my iPhone