Actually, RDA 9.7.1.3 also contains a second instruction:

"If none of the terms listed is appropriate or sufficiently specific, record an appropriate term or phrase."

Therefore, RDA does not limit the choice to "male", "female" and "not known". And for those whose gender-identity is complicated, this ability to use their own terminology seems like a good idea.

John Attig
Authority Control Librarian
Penn State University