Dear colleagues:

I am struggling with updating the NARs for two related conferences (both with the delightful 667 THIS 1XX FIELD CANNOT BE USED UNDER RDA UNTIL THIS RECORD HAS BEEN REVIEWED AND/OR UPDATED).

The existing NARs are:

ARN 263096

n  79029429

1112 International Meeting on Modern Ceramics Technologies

ARN 4121548

n  96800349

1112 Forum on New Materials

The works I am cataloging were issued in conjunction with CIMTEC (which appears as a see reference on the first NAR above). The prefaces state: “CIMTEC 2014 consisted of two major events: the 13th International Ceramics Congress … and the 6th Forum on New Materials.” The web site for CIMTEC 2014 agrees:

 http://2014.cimtec-congress.org/

Despite what is in the existing NAR, it seems to me that the International Meeting on Modern Ceramics Technologies is not a variant name for CIMTEC (not a one to one relationship), but a part of CIMTEC (a part to whole relationship), as is the Forum on New Materials.

Hence, we would need a separate, new NAR for International Ceramics Congress. But then what happens to International Meeting on Modern Ceramics Technologies? It appears to be the “parent” for lack of a better word to the two “major events.”

This is what I’m considering. I would appreciate some feedback on this:

Rework the existing NAR as CIMTEC. Remove 411 for International Ceramics Congress.

Create a new NAR for International Ceramics Congress, with a 511 to CIMTEC as the Hierarchical superior.

Modify existing NAR for Forum on New Materials, also with 511 to CIMTEC.

Thoughts? Ideas? Sympathies?

Regards,

Michael Colby
Principal Cataloger