A few latecomer thoughts on this already thoughtful discussion--

The difference between series represented by series statements only and
those provided with standard access is better understood in terms of local
decisions about access than some inherent property of different series.  I
agree with Karen's comment that series statements should be purely
descriptive and not beholden to access requirements.  The use of an
identifier for a string to simplify repetitive data entry for series
statements makes some sense, but is it really an identifier if it's only
for a string, not an entity?

The FRBR solution to the relation between work and series is hiding in the
concept of the aggregate work.  A given text may appear within a
series-designated volume in one publication and without the series in
another publication.  For FRBR, the text is an expression of a work, but
the two publications are also works--aggregate works combining the text's
work with other components.  So the series has a work-to-work relationship
with the aggregate work which contains the text work, and not with the text
work itself.  The exception would be cases where the series relationship is
really a part relationship involving the text work, as between a book and
the trilogy it belongs to.  In such cases, the text work could have a part
relationship to a larger text work while the publication work where it
appears might have a series relationship to a particular edition of the
trilogy, which would not be a true relationship between the text work and
the series work.

I prefer models which treat series entities as separate entities with a
relationship to items in the series and make the series entity description
the locus for some of the series data elements that Joe and Theo discuss.
The issues for implementing that model are as much organizational as
structural.  The ability to create community-level series authorities is
limited to a subset of NACO members in our community, as the ability to
create community-level serial records is limited to CONSER.  There would
need to be a way to extend the ability to create such community-level work
to a larger pool of contributors if creating series entity descriptions
becomes part of cataloging expectations generally.

Lastly, regarding numbered series.  The relationship between a publication
work and a numbered series is really different from that for an unnumbered
series.  The latter relationship is fairly simple, while the former is
better understood as not just a relationship but an alternate designation
of the publication work.  Numbered series might better be modelled on the
coding of standard numbering systems, with the series identifier specifying
the system within which the number has significance, as "isbn" specifies
the system for a specific number string. The way series numbers have been
treated as appendages to the series title may read easily, but it's a case
of a tail that needs to wag its dog in terms of data.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota