On 7/25/15 8:01 PM, Stephen Hearn wrote:
> A few latecomer thoughts on this already thoughtful discussion--
>
> The difference between series represented by series statements only
> and those provided with standard access is better understood in terms
> of local decisions about access than some inherent property of
> different series.
The odd thing about this statement is that there is nothing in the act
of cataloging that creates "access." Cataloging creates display strings.
Display strings were once ALSO the technology of access in the physical
alphabetical catalog. Access today is a system design function that is
not one-to-one with display.

In other words, the decisions that are being made in the process of
cataloging are not necessarily informing actual access. I know that this
frustrates the heck out of catalogers, but if we want cataloging and
access to be somehow cohesive then cataloging needs to address the
technology that provides access.

> I agree with Karen's comment that series statements should be purely
> descriptive and not beholden to access requirements.  The use of an
> identifier for a string to simplify repetitive data entry for series
> statements makes some sense, but is it really an identifier if it's
> only for a string, not an entity?
If it has a name, then in real life it is an entity. You may consider
"Discworld series" to be a string, but there is an actual series with
that name, and although catalogers deem it to be lesser than a numbered
series, it is still real. So the identifier is for the entity.

More could be said about FRBR and aggregates, but that's a can of worms
that we won't come to any conclusions here.

<snip>

> I prefer models which treat series entities as separate entities with
> a relationship to items in the series and make the series entity
> description the locus for some of the series data elements that Joe
> and Theo discuss. The issues for implementing that model are as much
> organizational as structural.  The ability to create community-level
> series authorities is limited to a subset of NACO members in our
> community, as the ability to create community-level serial records is
> limited to CONSER.  There would need to be a way to extend the ability
> to create such community-level work to a larger pool of contributors
> if creating series entity descriptions becomes part of cataloging
> expectations generally.
>
> Lastly, regarding numbered series.  The relationship between a
> publication work and a numbered series is really different from that
> for an unnumbered series.  The latter relationship is fairly simple,
> while the former is better understood as not just a relationship but
> an alternate designation of the publication work.  Numbered series
> might better be modelled on the coding of standard numbering systems,
> with the series identifier specifying the system within which the
> number has significance, as "isbn" specifies the system for a specific
> number string. The way series numbers have been treated as appendages
> to the series title may read easily, but it's a case of a tail that
> needs to wag its dog in terms of data.

This is an interesting aspect of numbered series that I hadn't
considered before -- that the series name and number identify a
publication. I can see how this has value in an inventory, similar to
the enumeration in serials. However, it is probably rare that any
publication is known to users solely or even mainly by its series and
enumeration, any more than journal articles would be known by their
serial title and enumeration rather than by the author and title of the
article. So I understand this distinction, but I do think we have to
ask: what does it mean functionally for the user? Is it truly an access
point? Or... is it a bibliographic relationship that can be used for
identification and collocation? Bibliographic relationships were treated
in the past the same as access points because that was the only way to
have collocation, but we can now collocate via links, so it may be
useful to consider that navigation between bibliographic entities using
links is not the same as access via searchable headings. In fact, what
FRBR provides is not a record model but a model of collocation based on
bibliographic relationships that can be used in a computerized catalog,
something that we were not able to achieve with flat records stored in
database management systems. I think this is the key take-away from FRBR
and linked data, which is that linking provides a richer form of
collocation than we had in the physical catalog, and some of the
practices in that catalog were kludges to create some crude collocation
through alphabetical order.

kc

--
Karen Coyle