Some series are issued in more than one language, with the series title
being represented on each piece in the language of each piece.  When that's
the case, the transcribed display form of the series title would be one
thing and the form needed for indexing and display of the standard title in
user-friendly lists of series titles would be something else.

If there's an identifier for the series linked to the standard form of the
title (and any alternate language variants), noting the relationship
between the item and the series identifier as part of a series statement
might suffice for access to the standard title; but if not, a cataloger
needs to be able to represent both these textual forms of the series title
in the bibliographic description.  The transcribed form would be better
understood as a property of the piece than as a relationship to the series,
and vice versa for the standard title.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist