First, the same name in different languages is something that RDF
handles quite well: each string that is used as a label can be given a
language code, and you can have an official display form and "see" forms
(alternate labels) for each language. It actually is better than what we
have today, because RDF was designed for the global web.

As for transcribed forms, those are not the same as the information
about the series. Transcribed forms are information about the instance,
not the series, and should be treated as separate information. They do
NOT identify the series, they describe the instance. In the past, a
single string was used to fulfill way too many roles, and often it was
not clear what role it was fulfilling. In particular, many strings could
be used by a human to find a related entity, but they could not be
considered as identifying the entity. We need to keep those functions
separate. As I have said before, I think that transcribed data needs to
be clearly encoded as such and should not be confused with
identification of entities.

kc

--
Karen Coyle