It is true that authority work ‘s focus has been to remove ambiguity between sources, not to fully describe an entity, hence only adding birth dates if there are two identical names, only added death dates if there are two Nate Trails born in the same year, etc.

It is also true that the research and contextual info is often only found in notes, but on the plus side, now that we’re creating resources that instead focus on entities, it will be easier for catalogers to link to resources  than to type out textual notes. That work can start now even without bibframe. We have begun to encourage catalogers to put LCCNs and other identifiers in separate fields, instead of writing out the titles or entity names (or in addition), so that systems can make those linkages already, in spite of the fact that the data was in marc. Terry Reese is building into his MARC converter an entity resolution process that turns an identifier into a link http://blog.reeset.net/archives/1775 .

MARC data, with the exception of the controlfields, was always intended to be consumed and understood by people, not machines, in the same way as early HTML was to be read by people, not understood by machines.

Nate

Nate Trail

Network Development & MARC Standards Office

LS/ABA/NDMSO

LA308, Mail Stop 4402

Library of Congress

Washington DC 20540