The RDA/ONIX Framework for Resource Categorization (5JSC/Chair/10) is
the basis for terms in the RDA carrier, content, and media type
vocabularies. Each term is related to a set of Framework attributes
covering the basic carrier and content categories. The Framework also
provides a mechanism for extending and refining the categories.
JSC is pleased to announce the publication of Guidelines for proposing
new carrier and content categories and terms in RDA (6JSC/ROFWG/3). The
Guidelines are accompanied by a map of current RDA carrier, content, and
media type terms to the Framework attributes (6JSC/ROFWG/3/Categories).
These documents will be useful to JSC members and RDA communities that
are considering new terms for RDA and for applications using RDA data.
JSC RDA/ONIX Working Group reviewed JSC recommendations for extension
and revision of the Framework in 2014 (6JSC/ROFWG/2) and was asked to
develop documentation to ensure that development of RDA categories
remained consistent and compatible with the Framework.
Working Group also made proposals in 2014 for a namespace for a linked
data version of the Framework (6JSC/ROFWG/2). The RDA Development Team
has created an element set and value vocabularies for the Framework in
the RDA Registry, included in release v2.3.0 of the RDA Vocabularies.
RDA Registry also includes value vocabularies for RDA refinements of
the Framework concepts, and alignments and maps between RDA terms and
Alignments and maps between ISBD content forms
and media types and the Framework are made available in the RDA Registry
on behalf of the ISBD Review Group. The Framework is intended for use
as a hub for mapping carrier and content categories used by different
communities, and this data will allow RDA and ISBD data to interoperate
The JSC welcomes the availability of these new tools to improve the use of RDA data by a wider variety of communities.
For further information, see:
* 6JSC/ROFWG/1 (Proposals for a namespace for the Framework): http://www.rda-jsc.org/6JSC/ROFWG/1
* 6JSC/ROFWG/2 (JSC recommendations for extension and revision of the Framework): http://www.rda-jsc.org/6JSC/ROFWG/2
* 6JSC/ROFWG/3 (Guidelines for proposing new carrier and content categories and terms in RDA): http://www.rda-jsc.org/6JSC/ROFWG/3
* 6JSC/ROFWG/3/Categories (RDA carrier and content categories): http://www.rda-jsc.org/6JSC/ROFWG/3/Categories
* RDA/ONIX Framework in the RDA Registry: http://www.rdaregistry.info/rgAbout/rof.html
* RDA Vocabularies releases: https://github.com/RDARegistry/RDA-Vocabularies/releases