Stephanie,

Thanks for the update!

I now have two instances of institutions using locally developed scripts
and procedures for ingesting local content.  I think we may have an
opportunity here.  I am thinking we can build on these local scripts and
come up with a package, of sorts, that helps prepare batches for ingest.

I have been researching this for a while and the information on the
Guidelines and Resources page at LOC has been very helpful (
http://www.loc.gov/ndnp/guidelines/ ).  I also have been reading
"Guidelines for Digital Newspaper Preservation Readiness" by Katherine
Skinner and Matt Schultz ( downloaded from Educopia Institute
http://educopia.org/publications/gdnpr ).  I like the way the document lays
out the digitization process from identifying and inventorying content all
the way to packaging.  They make a number of recommendations and
suggestions as well as pointing out tools that would help at each stage of
the process.  As a starting point, I would suggest we use the paper as a
guide for developing a workflow.

Stephanie, I would be interested in seeing a sample of the spreadsheet you
use to prepare the batches. Using spreadsheets seems to be a common way of
collecting metadata. I would also be interested in seeing how you convert
that to METS files.  I have a copy of the process used at UO and am
reviewing it now.  I think they use XML files to prepare the batches.  I
will followup on that.

If we think it will help, I will also see about starting a Google Doc to
keep up with what we find.

And thanks again for volunteering.  I think this is going to be a fun
project.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Williams, Stephanie <[log in to unmask]