Hello All,

The Texas A&M University Libraries is working on a project to digitize our campus newspapers and we believe Chronam would be a great system for viewing and managing the collection.  We have the viewer installed and have ingested a couple of sample batches and the system appears to be working very well.  We would now like to start adding our local content.

We are looking for some guidance on how to prepare batches for a local ingest, that is, a non-NDNP submission as I have learned its called.  I would be interested in hearing how other institutions prepare their batches and just what is required for an ingest of a batch.  All our experience has been with sample batches downloaded from LOC.  We have been using the technical guidelines for the NDNP project as a roadmap and those have been very helpful.

We are starting with TIFFs and based on the information from the guidelines, we are creating the compressed JPEG2000 files as well as the OCR files.  If there are scripts or programs that help with this process, such as appending the metadata to the JP2 files or creating the METS files, I would be happy to hear about them.  I also believe we probably need to update the MySQL database with information for our site, possibly the "titles" table.  The folks at the University of Oregon Libraries have been very helpful and they suggested I post to this list for any additional information.

Thanks.

--
Michael W. Bolton  |  Assistant Dean, Digital Initiatives
Sterling C. Evans Library  |  Texas A&M University