Hi, Michael! We're in the same boat here in NC, I think--we're not NDNP awardees, but we're creating batches on our own, according to NDNP standards. We do have some scripts to help us with this process, but (fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective*) it all starts with batch-level spreadsheets. These serve as the base for generating METS files, issue-level directories, and batch manifests. We've never done any updating of the Chronam MySQL by hand, because we're still letting Chronam pull in MARC data/populate its own lists. This isn't without problems, but it's ok. The one major change we've made there is to use a Worldcat API as the source of MARC data instead of chroniclingamerica.loc.gov--most of our newspapers fall outside of NDNP selection guidelines and aren't represented there. For items without LCCNs (student newspapers, small community papers, corporate papers) we assign them: we're lucky to have a very helpful cataloging department one floor up. If hearing any more about our process sounds like it might be helpful, please contact me--we'd be happy to talk. Thanks, and good luck, Stephanie Williams North Carolina Digital Heritage Center http://www.digitalnc.org [log in to unmask] *It works for us. It's time-intensive, but we've been experimenting with tools to help us generate page-level data while we scan, which is a huge help. We preserve the spreadsheets alongside the end-result batches; when changes are made, we make them in the spreadsheets and regenerate the METS/manifests rather than edit by hand. ________________________________ From: Data, API, website, and code of the Chronicling America website [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Michael Bolton [[log in to unmask]] Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 10:49 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Deplolying Chronam for local holdings Hello All, The Texas A&M University Libraries is working on a project to digitize our campus newspapers and we believe Chronam would be a great system for viewing and managing the collection. We have the viewer installed and have ingested a couple of sample batches and the system appears to be working very well. We would now like to start adding our local content. We are looking for some guidance on how to prepare batches for a local ingest, that is, a non-NDNP submission as I have learned its called. I would be interested in hearing how other institutions prepare their batches and just what is required for an ingest of a batch. All our experience has been with sample batches downloaded from LOC. We have been using the technical guidelines for the NDNP project as a roadmap and those have been very helpful. We are starting with TIFFs and based on the information from the guidelines, we are creating the compressed JPEG2000 files as well as the OCR files. If there are scripts or programs that help with this process, such as appending the metadata to the JP2 files or creating the METS files, I would be happy to hear about them. I also believe we probably need to update the MySQL database with information for our site, possibly the "titles" table. The folks at the University of Oregon Libraries have been very helpful and they suggested I post to this list for any additional information. Thanks. -- Michael W. Bolton | Assistant Dean, Digital Initiatives Sterling C. Evans Library | Texas A&M University 5000 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-5000 Ph: 979-845-5751 | [log in to unmask] http://library.tamu.edu