The reason why unknown values should be allowed is that it makes the distinction between uncertain and unset values.

The notation "?/?" carries extra meaning in that it specifies we are dealing with an interval and not a date, time, or date/time; however, I would question whether or not the distinction needs to be made.

Hypothetically, we could have a system of describing unknown values which retains the type of time entity that is represented. For example:

"?": Unknown date.
"T?": Unknown time.
"?T?": Unknown date/time.
"P?": Unknown duration.
"?/?": Unknown interval.
"R?/?: Unknown repeating interval.

But when is it important to specify the type of time entity?

Maybe using "?" for all time entities would suffice, and the type of entity it represents could be determined by the context?

Nathan